Frequently Asked Questions
- Who can apply?
- How do I apply?
- How do I become a WISH participant?
- What is the timeline?
- What will I do if I’m selected to participate?
- What will this cost?
- How do I obtain more information?
- How much time do I have to complete my application?
- Can I submit my application in stages?
- What happens after I submit my application?
- What is the legislative letter?
- What happens after I upload my legislative letter?
- Why must I report both my U.S. Congress person and my state legislator?
- Who do I contact if I do not receive a confirmation email after I submit my application or if I have problems with the web site?
Applicant must be:
Current female high school juniors during the 2011-2012 school year
Interested and excited about STEM
Committed to a one-year relationship with JSC; and
Able to access to the Internet and email (at home, school or public library)
A scholar with a cumulative GPA of 3.25/4.0 or higher
Complete the on-line application at https://spacegrant.net/apps/?pk=wish&action=new
Participants will be selected on the following criteria:
- Complete application by deadline
- Essay content
- Completed graded coursework
- Geographic Diversity
- January- February: Students will apply for WISH
- February-June: Students engage in distance learning activities and on-line discussions to learn more about space exploration with JSC mentors, and the other participants
- July: On-site summer experience at JSC.
During the school year, you will complete online distance learning activities. These activities include a variety of assignments, but not limited to, reading online curriculum, writing essays, solving math problems, and taking online quizzes. The activities are aligned to state standards.
If selected to participate in the on-site summer experience, scholars will attend a six-day on-site summer session at JSC, this will include:
- Designing a mission focused on space exploration
- Mentoring by NASA engineers
- Participating in hands-on engineering activities
- Briefings by engineers and other NASA experts
- Tours of JSC facilities
There will be no cost. Students and counselors are provided transportation, housing, and meals during their week-long stay at JSC.
Attendees are encouraged to bring spending money for souvenirs and snacks.
For questions not answered on the website, please contact us at JSC-NHAS@mail.nasa.gov
You will have 60 minutes to submit your application, if you do not submit in that time you will lose all of your information. It is recommended and important that you click submit every 55 minutes and that will give you more time if needed.
No, you must complete your application in one sitting, however you can continue to click submit every 55 minutes to reset the timer. So keep your eyes on the clock.
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org confirming the submission of your application. Your application will be considered complete once we have received all of your supporting materials. You will receive an email notification when each item is received. Award notifications of acceptance in to the online course will be sent in late February via email from email@example.com.
The legislative letter is written by you, addressed to your state Representative or Senator not your U.S Representative. The purpose of this letter is to tell your legislator why you want to participate in the Women in Stem High School Aerospace Scholars project and a little about yourself; i.e. hobbies, volunteer work (if applicable) etc. More specific application guidelines can be found at the top of the menu bar by clicking on the Students tab and then click on “Apply Here”. You will want to research who your state Representative or Senator is, it will be your responsibility that this information you enter is accurate. Accuracy in this area will be looked at as a part of the competitive application process for WISH. Be sure to double check your information!
Once you have submitted your letter, our project office will forward your letter to the addressed legislator. It is vitally important you have researched who your legislator is for your location. Be sure you have checked this information for accuracy. Please do not contact your state legislator’s office. We will communicate with the state legislators. If you have any questions about the process please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your U.S. Congress person is needed for statistical purposes and the state legislator is required so that we can notify the legislator of your interest in participating in WISH.
Please send an email to email@example.com and be specific in the problem you are having.